Masjid-ut-Taqwa was founded in 1996 by selected pioneers who originated from the Sri Lankan community, in order to establish a Masjid accessible to the population residing in proximity to downtown Toronto, as a place of worship and religious education to the community.
Masjid-ut-Taqwa was the first Masjid established by the Sri Lankan Muslim diaspora. At that time, Masjid-utTaqwa prevailed valiantly among a community dominated by the population of other faiths; subsequently Muslims congregated to relocate and live-in close proximity to the Masjid. Presently the Muslim population lives with peace and harmony within a well diversified and inclusive population of Canadians from various faiths and countries of origin.
Masjid-ut-Taqwa serves as a center for all Muslims of Sunni devotion, regardless of their culture or nationality. Presently, with the grace of Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) we have seen Masjid-ut-Taqwa serve everybody who seeks Taqwa (Piety) and who further seeks to reinforce that piety. For any inquiries related to Masjid-ut-Taqwa, contact the masjid at [email protected]
Our Vision is to nurture and embrace generations of Muslim Canadians accustomed to practicing Islamic beliefs in their daily lives’ as inclusive global citizens. Masjid-ut-Taqwa is a registered charitable organization established to serve the community in the following capacities:
- To teach and propagate the religion of Islam as per the divine guidance revealed through Holy Qur’an and the teachings from the way of life of our most beloved messenger the Holy prophet Muhammadh (صلى الله عليه وسلم)to all those who seek guidance beyond any form of biasness.
- To establish and provide a Holy place of worship in order to fulfil five times daily obligatory prayers, Friday Jummah prayers on a weekly basis and Eid prayers to the creator Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) in a congregate environment, in compliance with Islamic guidelines and laws of Ontario.
- To facilitate Islamic marriage ceremonies in accordance with Islamic guidelines and laws of Ontario.
- To inculcate Islamic values in our community by conducting scholarly preaches, educational classes, webinars and events to provide Islamic religious knowledge, wisdom, awareness of Islamic etiquettes and ethical values to both children and adults, leading to an enlightened future community.
- To enable community connections/networks by providing the opportunity to participate in events, projects and activities of the Masjid, engaging the younger generation, new immigrants and rest of the community on various volunteer roles towards serving the growing needs of the population leading to a
By the graciousness of Allah (سبحانه وتعالى), Masjid-ut-Taqwa has been serving the community for over 2 decades. As the community continues to grow, the space and facilities in the Masjid are becoming increasingly inadequate, thereby making it difficult to appropriately accommodate the growing need for congregate prayers, growing number of student enrolments at our classes, cater to an expanded base of community members by hosting diverse programs and events.
We believe that building a strong religious foundation is extremely important for both adults and children in order to inculcate positive values and best practices that confer immeasurable benefits to the community and all of humanity. All praise be to Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) Alhamdulillah, with the support of governing members and the wider community, the Board of Directors have initiated the project to expand and refine the internal and external building structure of the Masjid. We initially planned in 3 phases over a span of 3 years, currently we have accomplished Phase 1 expansions and construction is in-progress as evident from the pictures.
By the will of Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) In sha Allah, we hope to retain the ownership of the adjacent property as an asset generating monthly income for the daily operations of the Masjid and continue to complete the remaining phases of this expansion project currently estimated at $1,200,000 at our earliest with strong support and contributions from our brothers and sisters.
“Whosoever takes part in building a masjid for Allah (سبحانه وتعالى), even if it is as small as a bird’s nest, Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) will build for him a house in Paradise”
Areas Of Expansion
- An upgrade of existing prayer areas
- Improved accessibility for individuals with medical conditions and special needs
- Sophisticated security system
- Enhanced sound system
- Additional rooms for administrative purposes and meetings
- New commercial kitchen facilities
- Improved building architecture
- Restroom for the Imam and caretaker facility room
Our Management consists of Board of Directors, Honorary Officials, Sub-committees and Volunteer Members of the community. All Board Members serve the Masjid as volunteers. We encourage you to contact us via [email protected] to express your interest to serve the Masjid as a volunteer member or learn about the professional and other roles served by the existing members.
Shaykh Mohammed Zakariya ibn Ismail Patel (Damat Barakatuhum – May his blessings be lasting) began his journey of seeking traditional Islamic knowledge at a very early age. Travelling to the city of Holcombe Bury in northern UK, he enrolled at Darul Uloom Al-Arabiyyah Al-Islamiyyah, where he stayed for over a decade.
Upon completing memorization of the Holy Qur’an, he commenced the study of Arabic, jurisprudence and other Islamic sciences comprising the madrassa syllabus. During his final year, he completed the six canonical collections of Ḥadith [Al-Ṣiḥaḥ Al-Sitta] under the tutelage and care of several masters including Shaykh Yusuf Motala (NawwarAllahu Marqadahu – May Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) enlighten his resting place), Shaykh Islam ul-Haqq (NawwarAllahu Marqadahu – May Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) enlighten his resting place) and Shaykh Hashim Al-Jogwadi (Damat Barakatuhum – May his blessings be lasting) – all senior students of Shaykh-ul-Hadith Maulana Muhammed Zakariyya Al-Kandahlawi (NawwarAllahu Marqadahu – May Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) enlighten his resting place). After graduation, Shaykh Zakariya Patel (Damat Barakatuhum – May his blessings be lasting) served as the supervisor and head instructor at Madinat-ul-Uloom Al-Islamiya School in Kidderminster, UK.
Shaykh Zakariya Patel (Damat Barakatuhum – May his blessings be lasting) grew up in a household of immense piety and has been blessed, from childhood, with the continuous company [Suḥba] of leading scholars and saints [Awliya-Allah], including his late father in-law, Shaykh Abdur Rahim Motala (NawwarAllahu Marqadahu – May Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) enlighten his resting place). He has received formal authorization [Ijazah] in traditional Islamic spirituality [Taṣawwuf] from his mentor, Shaykh Yusuf Motala (NawwarAllahu Marqadahu – May Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) enlighten his resting place), his uncle, Shaykh Hashim Al-Jogwadi (Damat Barakatuhum – May his blessings be lasting), and Ḥadhrath Dr. Ismail Memon Madani (Damat Barakatuhum – May his blessings be lasting) – all senior successors [Khulafa] of Shaykh-ul-Hadith Maulana Muhammadh Zakariyya Al-Kandahlawi (NawwarAllahu Marqadahu – May Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) enlighten his resting place).
Like his respected predecessors, he is held in high esteem by both his peers and teachers alike. His hallmark is his extreme love for, and constant emphasis upon adherence to the Holy Qur’an and the blessed Sunnah of the Holy prophet Muhammadh (صلى الله عليه وسلم) master of both worlds.
He currently resides with his family in Toronto, Canada. For well over two decades, he has been serving as the Imam of our Masjid, where he conducts weekly gatherings of Taṣawwuf, lessons in Ḥadith, and teaches full-time Hifz class.
To get in touch with our Imam, Shaykh Mohammed Zakariya Maulana, please contact him via email at [email protected]